Monday, January 23, 2012

Chicken and Dumplings



I feel like a real cook after making this!!

I have been buying a rotisserie chicken every week for Chris to use for lunch meat. I decided to make stock out of what was left from pulling the meat off the bone. I put the bones in a large pot and covered with water. Added 1 onion, 2 carrots, and 4-5 garlic cloves. I would've added celery too but I didn't have it. The first time I did it, I kept only the liquid but the second time I kept the vegis and pulled more meat form the bones and added them to the stock as well. It froze very well.

My mom was an amazing cook. I mean A-MAZE-ING!!! She loved savory dishes, like shrimp scampi, BBQ spare ribs, and she made a mean prime rib which she encased in rock salt to cook. I didn't spend a lot of time in the kitchen with her when I was young which is something I regret now. I really didn't get into cooking until I was older and that's when I started asking my mom a ton of questions. Her recipes were always kept secret and no one was allowed to read her recipe book. But being the baby of the family, I stole it from my sister after mom passed and you'll have to pry it from my hands when I'm go.

Chicken and Dumplings isn't something I remember her making so this was a stretch for me to make. The hubs loves these down home cooked meals and it totally hit the spot with the cold winter day's we've been having lately.

Ingredients:
1 pkg chicken breasts, chopped into bite size pieces
1 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs butter
1 stalk celery
1 potato chopped
1 bay leaf
salt & pepper
1 tsp poultry seasoning
2 Tbs flour
1 cup frozen peas

Dumplings:
2 cups Bisquick
2/3 cup milk (my youngest son is dairy intolerant so I used So Delicious Coconut Milk. It made the dough pretty thick so I added a tiny bit of water until it came together)
1/2 tsp salt (didn't add this this time but will next time. It needs it)

Heat large pot over med high heat. Add oil and butter. Add potatoes, celery, and bay leaf. Cook 5 min, stirring frequently. Season with salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning. Add flour and cook for 2 min. Stir in stock and bring to boil. Add chicken and stir. (I cooked for 10 min but was too long) mix ingredients for dumplings and drop spoonful of it into the pot. Cook uncovered for 10 min, Add peas, cover and cook an additional 10 min.

OMG!!! So yummy!!! I believed I SOARED on this one!
Hope you enjoy!!






2 comments:

  1. and it looks really, really good!! I love soup ~my fave food!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not even very cold here today and my mouth is watering! YUMMY! I am going to try this! My mom was a great cook also, but she can't cook much anymore, she doesn't stand well. The next cold day we're having this! Love Penny Scrap-aholic@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete