Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Dutch Oven - Braised Beef and Summer Vegetables

This is how we roll!!!!



We love to go camping and Cast Iron cooking is usually on the menu at least one if not more of the nights we go. This is the Dutch Oven - Braised Beef and Summer Vegetables recipe I got from the August 2011 Sunset magazine. I have saved it all year cuz I knew we would try it. If you are familiar with dutch oven cooking, then this recipe is easy. If not, it does take a bit of time. This took 3 hours start to finish. So worth it though!!!



Cast of characters: chicken broth, vegis and beef (already in the dutch oven at this point)


My hubby likes to dig a hole in the ground to do this whole thing. It keeps the heat contained and the coals last longer. You can use coals form a camp fire or briquettes. Chris started with 50 briquettes and added wood as he went along. Put your dutch oven on the coals and get it smokin hot!! Then add the beef and brown it on all sides and add the broth. The rub for the beef was amazing!!! I put the rub on and kept it in a ziplock bag for a few days and man did it turn out tender and flavorful!




You begin to add coals to the top of the dutch oven at this point. Cook for an hour adding coals after 30 min


Add first set of vegis, potatoes, cherry tomatoes, corn on the cob, and onions. Cook for another hour adding coals after 30 min.


Add last set of vegis, green beans, and zucchini, & more broth. We added a bit of beer too at this point just for flavor. Cook for 15 - 30 min.


Delish!!! So flavorful and fun to do out in the woods. Here's the link to the recipe


 I hope you all had a great Memorial Day weekend!!!

THANK YOU TO ALL OUR SERVICE MEN AND WOMEN!!!


8 comments:

  1. Looks like you have this down to a science, Tracie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing!
    We are actually hoping to camp this summer at some point and that looks like a good recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!!!! I don't do camping kind of cooking but I would want to just for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks totally cool and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is SO making me hungry! I have one of these and have never used it! I may have to try it now!(We actually live in the town where most of them are made!) Great job! Love Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks so good. hubby cooks like that when he goes hunting!!:):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Thank you for stopping by my blog today. As for your question about the hexagons on my page- I just cut them out from the patterned paper with scissors along the lines. I wish that I had done something fancy but it was actually really simple! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete